Wednesday, October 14, 2009

I'm Walking

There's an old Fats Domino song called "I'm Walkin'", but this blog isn't about that. It is about another homeless activity called walking. Unless one is lucky enough to have a bus pass, we walk everywhere. We get blisters. They hurt, so we slow down when we walk. So, it takes longer for us to walk through intersections, and guess what happens next? Cars try to run us over. I'm sure it's the car's fault and not the driver. So, the car honks its horn, despite us having the right of way. There is is great scene from "Midnight Cowboy" where Dustin Hoffman screams at a taxi--"I'm walking here". That's what its like. Or, you wait for a car to go by to cross the street, and they suddenly turn before you without putting on a blinker. Did he just think I was taking a nap standing up? No one around but me and him. Totally clueless. Then, there was the time I was crossing the street in the middle of the block. No one but me and an approaching car. I calculated the distance and determined I had enough time to cross the street. The driver sped up and tried to hit me, as if it was a sport. So, if you see me walking around, remember that I have the right of way. Take that into consideration, as you are talking on the phone and texting. Thank you.

No comments: