Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Disco Music

I may have covered this before, but I love disco music. It is one of my guilty pleasures, along with Reese's Peanut Butter Cups. You never really know what impact that stages of your life might have, until you look back on them. In the 1970's. it was disco.

When I first saw "Saturday Night Fever", I didn't much care for the movie, but the music knocked me out. I was working in a music store in Texas, and we plaed the soundtrack over and over again. Also at the time were The Village People and Donna Summer. This music was what our lives revolved around.

I would usually go to the local discos twice a week. Sometimes more. I would request them play "Macho Man" everytime I would go. Some DJ's would see me come in and hide that record. I had a bunch of disco 8-tracks and records. Also, I could do a great impression of Rod Stewart singing "Do Ya Think I'm Sexy". Too bad nobody filmed that.

The critics of disco will say that the music was over-produced or canned. So what? So is a lot of music today. It was just fun music. Fun to dance to, and fun to listen to. I even heard some disco on the oldies radio station yesterday.

Some people wanted to kill disco years ago. They revolted against it. Maybe that was good, since it gave that era defined perameters. But, if you want to hear something really good, search for Casablanca Records. Most of those artists, except for Kiss, most people today have never heard of. You might be surprised.

No comments: