Thursday, October 22, 2009

The Gotham

I know. I haven't done any blogs recently. Well, I have been to the fair, and I will write about that later. I haven't been carrying my notebook, which has all my writings in it, and I have been pressed for time with the library computer, so I haven't written anything here, but I was compelled to write something today about an incident that happened to me this morning. There is a restaurant downtown called The Gotham. It sells sandwiches and drinks, and it opens every morning at 7. It is pretty big, as it takes up half of an old dime store on Main Street. The ceilings are high and they have a lot of floor space. They also have 4 flat screen TV's hanging from the ceiling. It is a comfotable place to go, especially on a cold morning. Their stuff is a bit expensive. I only have $4 to my name, and a small coffee or tea runs $1.30. So, this morning, I walked in a little after 7 and sat down at a corner table. No one else was in there. A worker came over to me and said I needed to buy something to sit there. I immediately thought that this would take almost half of my worldly money, but I also had to think about being out in the cold, so I told him I would get a hot tea soon. He then got mad and told me to buy it now or get out. I realized that he had a prejudice against homeless people. About 30 tables in the place and 150 chairs. I was the only person in there. They hadn't even turned on the TV's or the lights, but I had to get out. Customer service or tact were traits he was probably not born with nor had he developed. I had flashbacks to the days where blacks could not be served because of the color of their skin. I had flashbacks to the days where long-haired guys could not be served because of their hairstyle or dress. Yes, I am homeless. I am sure that they have had a problem with homeless people using their bathrooms or panhandling to customers. But, I am a very civil person. I know how to act. I don't cause trouble. I don't want to tell people not to go to The Gotham. I don't what to slander Fred, the worker who told me to buy something or leave. I am trying to be cordial to everyone and not threaten anyone. However, there are people in this world who are still prejudiced toward others without getting to know them. Why? Because a few have ruined it for the many. I could tell you not to spend your money at a place like that, but I won't. You need to make that decision for yourself. All I am saying is be careful. And, if you see me freezing outside, because I don't have any money to go through the door, then may my epitaph be that Fred said get out.

1 comment:

Chris King said...

Hey wdurst! It's geniusonwheels. Nice blog. The team would like for you to come back so we can all be together once again playing for the Palmetto State!