Monday, October 26, 2009

The Fair

The South Carolina State Fair was in town last week. Actually, 10 days of fair. Every year, at that time, an area near downtown is transformed with rides, games, food and eshibits. The smell of cows and pigs combined with elephant ears and barbecue make for a bit of what the fair is like. When I went there as a child, there was a lot of sawdust around, which gave me asthma. They paved over everything, but this time of year still gives me breathing problems. In high school, we heard about the girlie shows. Supposedly, they were pretty raunchy in the smaller fairs like Newberry or Orangeburg, but I never went to those. I did sneak into the show at the State Fair, wearing my overcoat to make me look older, but there wasn't much to it. The fair has become more family oriented. The girlie shows went away. The games became more winable. The rides were less dangerous. The fair became more regulated.

One of the most scaredest moments in my life was going on a ride one night. I think I was around 9. The top of the ride closed up on me, and there was no seat belt, and I flopped around inside the ride for what weemed like an eternity. I screamed for them to stop it, but they didn't until the ride was over. I don't like to go upside down anymore. As I have gotten older, the exhibits have gotten more interesting. I went twice to the fair this year, working for Andre. It was fun watching the kids' faces and watching people. Recapturing the magic of the fair. It was good to eat an elephant ear, but I don't suggest you do it all the time, or fried Pepsi, but once a year is not bad.

No comments: