Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Gratten Tomlinson

I learned this morning that Gratten Tomlinson passed away last Sunday. His funeral is tomorrow, and I plan to attend. My father taught Gratten at New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary, where I was born. He graduated from there in Religious Education and went on to work in several churches. When Daddy was called to be the head of the Sunday School Department for the South Carolina Baptist Convention, he called Gratten to have him come and be on his staff. Gratten had also worked with my Aunt Clyde and Uncle John in Florida. They were my Mother's family. So, we knew Gratten very well, and he came to Columbia. Daddy had three men who worked with him on his staff. Gratten, Gary and Roger. Those three men helped Daddy, and they became a team. Gratten always had a joke to tell, and he was truly a cool guy. He loved sports and his family. When my father died 10 years ago this September, all I had to do was call Gratten, and he took care of the rest. He, Gary and Roger did my father's funeral. The last time I saw Gratten was last year at the visitation for Frances Snipes, Roger's wife. Gratten was so proud of his grandson, who had just won an "American Idol" style contest in the upstate. He got that talent from his grandfather. Gratten loved music. It was not a total shock to hear of Gratten's passing. After all, he had cancer. But, cancer didn't have him. He loved life and people. I know Daddy and Mother have welcomed him into Heaven. God bless you, Gratten. Thanks for helping Daddy. Thanks for being a friend.

No comments: