Thursday, April 23, 2009

Lost Weekend

Back in the mid-1970's when I was in college, John Lennon left Yoko Ono and went to Los Angeles with May Pang. They kind of traveled together all around the country for several months. Eventually, John was reunited with Yoko, and they had a son named Sean. Between 1975-1980, they had a happy life. But, John needed that time away and referred to it as his "Lost Weekend". These past 15 months have been my "Lost Weekend" in Greenville. For the most part, it has been a nice time. Although I must say that the past 3 months have not been so nice. It is not easy without money or interaction with people. I have enjoyed going to the museums and taking in the sights. There are so many parks up here and a lot of green. The mountains have been soothing. I highly recommend to come here to anyone. The Arts are great. There is music everywhere. The only place I wasn't able to go was the Art Museum at Bob Jones University. It is world-class. I was able to go to a couple of concerts. And, I rekindled my friendship with four people from my past. There are some regrets, primarily that I could not get the support I needed to do drama in churches, but politics play an important part in that, and I found myself caught up in that. I now need to return to Columbia, despite the misgivings of some people who think it is a bad idea. Columbia is my home. It is where I grew up. It is where most of my friends are. I have been discouraged about trying to find a place to live. I can understand some folks' situations, but I have been hurt by those friends who haven't even responded to my request. And, dare I say, churches that have not responded. All they had to say to me was no, but we are praying for you, but not even that. If my faith was not strong, I could see where some folks would turn their backs on the church, as the impression has been that they have turned their backs on me. But, I have a strong faith that something good will happen. I also believe in what goes around comes around, so I cannot judge others' actions. So, another chapter is about to begin in my life. I feel like the time, when my father tried to teach me to swim in a motel pool. He kept telling me that he would catch me, if I jumped in. I didn't believe him, but I jumped in, and he moved away, so that I would swim on my own. He had to pull me up, when I started to flounder. That's what life is all about, ladies and gentlemen. You jump in, and hopefully someone will help you along the way. If they don't, you have to survive the best way you can. Every day is an accomplishment for me. I thank those for their prayers. I thank those for being friends. I thank Jimmy for letting me stay here these months. Now, it is time to get back in the game. I was lost, and now am found.

No comments: