Friday, February 20, 2009

Winning Something

I haven't won much in my life. When I was in high school, I won some Best Speaker awards in Forensics. When I was in college, I won a few drama awards. At Belk, I won the Best Buyer Award and the Sexiest Legs Award. I think they gave me that one out of pity. Publishers Clearing House keeps telling me that I am going to be their big winner, but I think they tell that to everybody. At Rich's, my Lamp Department, which I was the only salesperson, was given the sales award for all the departments in the company. But, today I got an award in the mail for second place in the forelorn lovers contest put on by WUSA TV in Washington DC. They wanted stories of jilted love, so I wrote of an experience I had many years ago. I came in second. I got a small box of valentine candy, which I must admit I have eaten most of it already. The story I wrote about was true. I have already written about it here, so head back to July and read about it, if you dare. I must say, without getting too sappy, that I have won something much better than a tangible gift. I have won another day. Another day to live. And friends to share it with. I don't know how many more days I have. No one really does. But, given all that has happened over the years to me, that award means more than anything else. When I was in school and doing movies, I wrote an Academy Award speech. I thought one day I would get one. As I have gotten older, I have realized that maybe I won't ever get to make that speech. But, I still have it just in case. I can hope. Hope keeps me going. And believing. I don't have to win. Just one more day.

No comments: