Wednesday, December 10, 2008

John's Birthday

Today is my brother's birthday. He is 7 1/2 years older than me, so he has always been the elderly one. Just kidding, John. I thought though that he was somewhat cursed having a December birthday, because it was so close to Christmas. After all, I was born in June, so I got separate presents, but John was born in December, so some of his presents were combined with Christmas. But, our Mother would do one thing for John and that was to bake a cake for him. Every year, she would ask him what kind of cake he would want, and he would put in his order, and she would provide. It went well, except for one year. He decided he wanted a coconut cake. Mother worked on it, and she put coconut shavings on top of the cake. It looked very nice. Then, she put the candles on the cake and lit them. We were sitting around the breakfast room table and sang "Happy Birthday". I was sitting across from John. It was time for him to blow out the candles. He made his wish; closed his eyes; and blew. The coconut shavings went all over me, the table and the floor. He thought it was funny. I wasn't laughing. Neither was Mother, because she didn't want to clean up the floor. She made John help. It was his most memorable birthday for me. John also had an accident another time with a can of whipped cream. We were having strawberry shortcake, and he insisted to spray the whipped cream on the dessert. Despite Mother's better thoughts, she said okay. The can got away from John, and he sprayed whipped cream all over the walls and ceiling of the kitchen. We never had strawberry shortcake again. Thanks, John. Happy Birthday.

No comments: