Monday, December 8, 2008

Johnny's Gone

Today is another awful anniversary. One that I really don't like to remember, but I have no choice. In 1980 on this day, John Lennon left this Earth. He is still with us in the music and films, but it was another day in music history that the music died. I didn't find out until the next morning. My Mother woke me about 6am and said, "You had better cut on the radio". I had it tuned to WNBC in New York just by accident, and I heard the tragic news. I couldn't believe it. My Mother had introduced me to The Beatles' music in 1964. I had to go to work at JB White's, but I was in a trance. Nothing made sense anymore. I wanted to get rid of all handguns. I honored John by doing a dramatic reading of two of his songs at an Arts tournament. I also wrote and performed a one-man one-act play on that tragic night. I don't want to write much about this day, because it makes me sad, but John was a man of peace. He fought for peace. I have befriended Yoko because of this event. She is a woman of peace. Can't we have peace? Johnny's gone but not forgotten. Peace be to you.

No comments: