Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Best Christmas

With the Christmas season upon us, I have been reflecting on my best Christmas. Some would say that their best Christmas was their best present. Maybe they got a ring from their fiancee. Maybe it was that bike they got as a kid. I have a friend who does not believe in Christmas. So, this blog is for her and all of those other people. When I was in seminary, I worked for a department store called Sanger-Harris. I had never missed a Christmas with my family in South Carolina before, but I had to this time, because of the retail hours. I had to work Christmas Eve and the day after Christmas, so it was impossible to fly home for just one day. So, my parents sent their gifts to me in Fort Worth. I was living in the seminary dorm in a room by myself. I went outside and found a twig with some green pine straw on it and set it up in the corner of my room. At 8:30 Christmas morning, which was about the time my parents would start their Christmas, I put on some Christmas music on the stereo and began opening my presents. For the next 15 minutes, I laughed and cried. I was alone, but I was there in spirit. We were together although apart by 1000 miles. I learned that there will always be Christmas, despite the situation you find yourself. As you spend time with your family and friends this season, think of those who are far away from your family. The soldiers around the world. The people who have to work. And those who don't believe. Merry Christmas.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas Walter... thanks for sharing these memories.