Saturday, November 22, 2008

November 22

There are days that are burned into the country's memory. One of these is November 22, 1963. This was the day that President Kennedy was assassinated. I happen to be one of those who believe that Oswald didn't act alone. I believe there was a conspiracy. I know what the Warren Commission said, and I know what the FBI said, but there are so many unanswered questions that it boggles the mind how a lone gunman like Oswald could have done it. But, let's go back to that day. I was in school. We were carving green bricks. Another teacher ran into our room and told our teacher to cut on the TV. She did, and we saw the news that Kennedy had been shot. I dropped my knife and was glued to the TV. They let out school early, and I ran home to be glued to the TV all weekend. I think it was the beginning of my being a political and news junkie. My Mother and I saw Ruby shoot Oswald live on TV that Sunday. I remember she fell to her knees from her chair and yelled out "They shot him". She believed in a conspiracy, too. We watched the funeral on Monday, as there was no school. There was only one time that weekend that I didn't watch TV, and I went to our backyard and talked to my neighbor Bruce Campbell. But, that was just for a short time. I just had to get some fresh air. That was 45 years ago today. They are comparing Obama to Kennedy, because he has young children, and he is a young man. They are saying that Obama's White House will be the new Camelot. I hope it doesn't end the same way.

No comments: