Thursday, November 20, 2008

At Work

I need a job, and you can scroll down my blog to see my resume, but I wanted to tell you the story of a place I used to work at. I worked there almost 12 years. Although I excelled in my job by making areas succeed, they didn't seem to appreciate me enough my not giving me appropriate raises. This place is Macy's. In the old days, when it was Rich's, it was a lot of fun to work there. The associates laughed and had a good time. Then Macy's came along and things changed. It wasn't fun anymore. Associates didn't laugh anymore. At Rich's, my Lamp Department was the number one Lamp Department in the entire company. Macy's didn't have Lamps. I got the Luggage Department to be in the top five in our division. They even doubled our floor space. But, I never got a raise. So, I left the store, because the cost of living was growing faster than what I made. I had to resort to asking friends and family for help. Something I hated to do, but I had to eat, pay utilities and rent. It was an awful time in my life. I need a job now and know something will happen, hopefully soon. I asked Macy's a couple of times to come back, and they said no. I even got a letter from them saying I wasn't qualified. But, last summer a co-worker of mine had a stroke. Macy's wasn't the whole reason why, but it contributed. Then two days ago, another co-worker of mine had a heart attack on the floor. He had open heart surgery. Another co-worker died last year from a heart attack. Another co-worker had a heart attack last year. Now, I know that you can't blame Macy's on everything, but the place is a zoo. There are people there who don't know how to run a store. They need to recognize the fact that it is a business, but it is also a place that couldn't run it without people. People with lives. People with feelings. An old friend of mine once said there is a difference between being a merchant and being a store. A merchant knows how to do things without tearing down. They know how to build up people. If they build people up, the people will bend over backwards to do a good job. If you constantly tear them down and find fault all the time, then you will do nothing and not care about anything. Macy's will learn their lesson. Probably won't though.

No comments: