Monday, November 10, 2008

Nine Lives

It is said that some people have nine lives. That is that there are people who cheat death, or should have died but didn't. I don't know how many lives I have, but there were several times that I should have ded, but didn't. This list may not be everything, but it will be indicative:
1. In the motel pool in Oxford Alabama, when I was around 6. My parents had gone into the motel room to answer the phone, and I was in the shallow end. I began walking and dropped off into the deep end. An unknown soldier grabbed me and pulled me out, thus saving me from drowning. We never knew his name.
2. In the 4th grade, when I got double pneumonia. I had a fever of 106 for 3 days. They tried everything to reduce my fever in the hospital from bathing me in ice to rubbing alcohol. After the third day, the fever broke. No brain damage, but my metabolism did speed up.
3. In junior high, I was riding my bike down a steep hill into a road in our neighborhood. I didn't see the car coming, and he swerved just in time.
4. In high school, I tried to kill myself 6 times by pills, suffocation, and a knife. Was unsuccessful.
5. In Texas, I was in a car accident. I was coming off of the freeway, and my brakes locked. I rammed into the car in front of me at a traffic light, but the car absorbed the shock. I was just bruised, but I couldn't drive in rain for a long time, as it happened on a rain-slicked road.
6. At White Oak, when I got locked in the freezer. I should have died there, but prayer saved my life.
7. At Rich's, almost being electrocuted, after I stuck scissors into a light strip that I thought was off, but it blew me across the aisle.
8. Other assorted almost car crashes, including the one recently on I-26, when I was one second away from crashing into a truck.
There could be others, but I am going to stop at 8. I don't want to cheat death again, at least not today. Maybe tomorrow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OMG Walter! This is incredible..but morbid at the same time! Yes stop at 8 and lets count no further!