Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Playing Cards

I have an addictive personality. I am addicted to friends now. I have had several addictions in the past. My most notable addiction was to alcohol. When one recognizes one's addiction, one has to change. I changed, so that I know I can't drink again. If I do, there is no telling what might happen to me. Thus, I don't even want cold medicine with alcohol in it. I have been addicted to love, as per the Robert Palmer song. It is very important to me that someone loves me, even though I may be too stupid to recognize it. Addictions are also things for me that are fun, at least at the time. Some things may not be addictions to some, but they are to me. My Mother told me early on that I was addictive. James Bond and The Beatles are addictions. Making video tapes were addictions. Now, I have a bunch of tapes that I need to sell. If you are interested, contact me. One of my addictions was playing cards, aka gambling. When I lived in Texas, a co-worker's husband introduced me to the wonderful world of cards. Every Thursday night, a bunch of us would get together to play poker or blackjack for money. It wasn't a big stakes game, but one could walk away with about $100 at the end of the night. Five card draw, five card stud, seven card cutthroat, aces wild, dueces wild, and more. On one special surprise birthday party there, my girlfriend gave me a money tree with the stipulation that I wouldn't go in the back room, where the game was, carrying the money tree. She said she would never speak to me again. Of course, I did it anyway, and lost it. She and I made up. Kare was a very forgiving person, but she also taught me that I had an addiction. So, I stopped gambling. When Texas Hold'em Poker and Blackjack arrived on cable TV, I was there watching. I could watch without participating, although I yelled at the screen a lot. It was amazing how much satisfaction I could get from that. A couple of days ago, I got a note on Myspace from Konnie to check out Texas Hold'em on Myspace, and I did. I am now addicted to playing online against people all over the world. The best part is that I am playing with fake money, so I don't have to worry about losing my money, but I have found that I am pretty good. The one thing about addiction is that it never leaves you. It may be dormant for years, and then like a volcano, it erupts. Sorry, Kare. But, I am not using my money. Promise.

No comments: