Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Giving Thanks

Have you seen the Publix commercial for Thanksgiving? It is actually very good. It stresses the need to get together and express thanks to friends and family. This Thanksgiving is special for a lot of people. Despite the stress of a bad economy, we have a lot to be thankful for. So much has happened this year. One friend is going through a cancer journey, but she will be thankful for hopefully catching it in time. Another friend thought his cancer was terminal, but apparently he is going to be okay. I am thankful that I don't have to be at work at 5am on Friday for the zoo of customers. I am in desperate need of work, but I am thankful that the stress of retail has been relieved. This will be the first "Black Friday" that I haven't worked in 25 years. That can take a lot out of you. Do I miss it? Sort of, but life goes on. I have realized that there is life outside of retail. Anyone who has experienced that understands. Another friend also knows this feeling first-hand for the first time in almst 23 years. We have a lot in common. Most of all, I am just thankful for my friends. If you don't know that by now, you have not been reading this blog. This Thanksgiving, I will be spending it with Thom, Mary Ann, Payton, Nathan, and the good people of St. Matthews, SC. They have been gracious to open their home to me over the past 11 years or so. They have become my family, and I thank God for them. I am also thankful for a strong friendship with Joni. Despite knowing her for almost 12 years, it became real this past year. Several events caused it to become strong, and I hope it never ends. I also am thankful for Aubrey. She encouraged me to take a step that I needed to do before it killed me. She saw beyond my situation. Her strong faith keeps me going. I am also thankful for Mary, whose friendship has been since college but just recently has been rekindled. Her kindness has been much appreciated, and we hope the store will succeed. Simple Pleasures at 104 West Curtis Street in Simpsonville, SC. Sorry for the advertisement, but we need to get the word out. I am also thankful for Jimmy. He opened his home to me and allowed me to move to Greenville. It has been a time for reflection and experiencing new things. The mountains have been very calming. Now, it is time to get back into the game in Columbia hopefully, but I think him for coming to my aid. There are many others to give thanks. Forgive me, if I leave someone out, but here goes: Konnie, Talula, Peggy, Chris, Janita, Del, Phil, Betsy, Brandi, Farida, Ne'cole (thanks for letting me laugh), my Macy's friends, Lisa, Pam, and so many more. Thanks, guys. Most of all though, I must thank God for giving me another day. Give thanks.

No comments: