Friday, November 28, 2008

Black Friday

Today is the first Friday after Thanksgiving that I haven't worked in retail in 25 years. Stores say that it can make or break their year with the sales from today. That's why they call it "Black Friday". From a retail person, today is a day that they dread. Customers come in and want something for nothing. Tempers flare. You can be stuck at a register for hours and not move. The store does all they can to max out the associates. One will ring while another one bags. If you're lucky. You tell customers they can't use their coupons on specials, but then that is why they are there early in the morning. They have come for the specials. The customers curse you and tell you they want to see a manager. You gladly call for a manager, but they are hiding and don't come. The customers then throw the coupons at you and walk away. Or else, they tell you that another associate took the coupons. I would ask for names, but they couldn't tell me who. Or, I would say that they could take the items to that associate to ring up, but I wasn't going to do it. If you call their bluff, they will back down. But, I have seen fights and customers getting hurt. Why? To save a few dollars. It isn't worth it. Maybe this year, with the bad economy, it won't be as hectic in the stores, but don't bet on it. I am just very thankful that I don't have to be in it. 25 years of that crap can be extremely stressful. I need a job, and maybe I will go back into retail, but it isn't worth it to take the abuse. My advice--everybody just take a deep breath. Read the fine print on the ads. And, give me my battle pay.

No comments: