Saturday, November 8, 2008

Favorite Trips

My friend Mary asked a question yesterday of what was my favorite trip I have ever taken. That was pretty hard, because I have always loved to travel. To experience new things. I like to get to a place, but sometimes the time getting there is more interesting. When I drive from Greenville to Columbia, I go on the country road, rather than the interstate. You can see a lot on a country road, if you have the time to get where you are going. I have lived a rather blessed life, when it comes to travel. My parents saw to that. For example, we went to New Mexico twice, when my father took us to Glorieta, which is just outside Santa Fe. During one trip, we went on to California and Disneyland. Thanks to family trips, I have been to 30 states. It is hard to pick out the best trip. Would be my Europe trip that I took in college? That was the biggest. Would it be my Puerto Rico trip? What about the trip to the World's Fair in New York? Or the trip to Six Flags in St. Louis? Or the trip to Busch Gardens in Williamsburg? Or the trip to Philadelphia doing puppet shows? Or the trip to Beatlefest in Chicago? There are so many. But, I picked one. It might seem strange, but then I can be strange. It was the trip to Atlanta, when I was in high school. It was a church youth trip. We got kicked out of the Atlantan Hotel for setting a room on fire and having an impromptu parade through the halls at 2am. We went on to Six Flags and crammed 7 people into a log ride made for 4. We hold the world record for that event. After that, they put up signs saying that there could be a maximum of 4 people per log. I guess they didn't like the log almost sinking or flipping over. That trip to Atlanta was a perfect example of my being a kid. Each trip I have taken has had its special qualities. I have such fond memories of wading in mountain streams and being up close to bears. I loved going to Nashville and the Grand Ole Opry. I treasure the smell of food cooking in Taos. The list goes on and on, but there are more places to go to. I hope I will find my next favorite place. Let's go.

No comments: