Saturday, October 11, 2008

Domestic Terrorist

It is less than a month until the national election. Despite their pledge to not get dirty, the politics are not just dirty, they are down right ugly. I have to say that I have done some things to try and sway voters' minds, but nothing like this. So, when did you stop beating your wife? This mud-slinging has come to a head with an ad by the McCain campaign about Obama having a friend who is a domestic terrorist. Imagine that. The truth is that there is a guy in Chicago, who is a teacher now, but used to run an organization during the anti-war movement called the Weathermen. Other people call it the Weather Underground. Whatever you call it, it happened at a time that was very different than now. The word "terrorist" didn't exist during the anti-war movement. But it is a buzz word. A word that causes fear in peoples' minds today. What disturbs me is that McCain approved the ad, or at least he said he did. What happened to what the candidates are going to do for us now? Why doesn't Obama run an ad about McCain bombed innocent civilians in Vietnam? It could have happened. No one could prove it, because it was war. So, here is why I can't be President. Because I was a domestic terrorist. Toward the end of the Vietnam War, I was in the anti-war movement. I didn't bomb anything, but I did do non-violent stuff. There were postcards that one could send to the Pentagon expressing an interest in being a nurse. I got a bunch of those and put phony names and addresses on them and sent them to the Pentagon. It forced those people to contact non-existing people and thus slowed down the work of the Pentagon. I also advocated the impeachment and resignation of the President of the United States Richard Nixon. He ultimately resigned in 1974 over Watergate. That was a happy day for me. That was a different time. The FBI investigated me, as they did a lot of others, including John Lennon. A member of the Fab Four. All we were saying was to give peace a chance. Maybe we were idealists. Maybe we were naive. But, we were trying to make a difference. We saw things that were wrong and unjust. Maybe some of us tried to do things that were more violent. I don't condone violence, but if you were physically attacked, what would you do? Would you do what I did in junior high and just take it? Or would you lash out? There were folks in power, who didn't want to give up that power. There are far more checks and balances now. The media is much stronger. The tabloids are everywhere. We live in a different country. Maybe we have grown up more and found that change needs to come more through the system than to attack the system. Our country has matured. So to say that Obama has a friend who is a terrorist is to scare voters. Let's knock it off, guys. Talk about what you are going to do to make my life better. If you can't, shut up.

No comments: