Thursday, October 30, 2008

Aunt Lib

I suppose it is unusual for four aunts to die so close to one another. Two of my aunts on my mother's side--Aunt Becky and Aunt Gladys; and two on my father's side--Aunt Grace and Aunt Lib. Aunt Lib died yesterday, just three days before her 100th birthday. She lived in Mount Pleasant, SC. Her husband was my Uncle George, who was my father's brother. He was the doctor for Sullivan's Island, and my cousin George inherited the business. Uncle George and Aunt Lib had 3 sons and a daughter. Aunt Lib had been ill in recent years, and it is truly a blessing that she has gone one to reunite with Uncle George and the rest of her peers in Heaven. But, it is also something that we, as cousins, need to reflect on now. With the passing of Aunt Lib, we no longer have any living Uncles or Aunts, as well as Mothers or Fathers. She was the last one. We just have us--the cousins. I am the youngest of the first cousins, which I guess says something about the ages of those older than me. I suppose some of them would take exception to my characterizing them as old, so I won't say that. After all, my cousin William is only less than a year older than me. As I said at Aunt Grace's funeral in Atlanta this summer, the Durst wives were very strong women. They had to be, because they were married to Durst men. They all had character and knew what they wanted to do. Aunt Lib's legacy is four successful and educated children. She insisted on their education came first. She loved the water, and she loved God. May we all draw from her strength in the days ahead. Thank you, Aunt Lib, for being gracious and caring. And, may God bless our family during these days and the days ahead.

No comments: