Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Road Rage

I have a confession to make. I know some of you will think badly of me, and if you do, I will just have to live with it. The deal is that I have road rage. It is not totally out of control, but God help you, if I am behind you in traffic, and you do something incredibly awful. Yes, I know. The world does not revolve around me. I am not a better driver than everyone else. But, it makes me angry when someone does something that is beyond explanation. I have discussed previously about my pet peeve of not using directional signals. After all, I am not psychic. If you don't use your blinker, I don't know you are turning. I have to know this to know if I need to apply the brake or go around you. If you want to change lanes, I need to know that in case I want to do the same. The last time I checked, cars still had signals made for them, and they were included on all cars. Another thing that irks me is when someone stops at a light, but then doesn't go, when the light changes to green. Hello? Green means go. "What, are you waiting for Christmas?" And then, when they finally go, the light changes to red by the time I get to the intersection. If they had gone when it changed to green, I could have made the light. Or, the person in front of me stops at the light with a big space between them and the car in front of them. Do they have a depth perception problem? Or the driver who talks to his passenger rather than looking at the road. My response to this is "That's all very interesting, but can you dance?" Oh, the list is endless. When I started driving, I must admit I had a lead foot. I drove fast. After all, I think I have the speed record for driving between Charlotte and Columbia. I did it in just over an hour. But, I have gotten older and have slowed down. I know I make others mad for driving the speed limit, so I probably spawn road rage for others. I am sorry to all of those who have been behind me, but I was probably yelling at someone else ahead of me. Several years ago, I had been at work at Belk downtown Columbia. It had been an awful day. I had to let off some steam. I was driving down Forest Drive heading toward home, and there was a woman in front of me going very slow. I wanted her to speed up and was yelling at her. She finally turned off, and I kept on going, glad that she was no longer in front of me. The next day, my co-worker asked me what did she do in traffic the night before that made me mad. She explained that she was driving in front of me. I was very embarrassed. Another time, I was driving down Forest Drive, and there was a man in a Jaguar who had to drive very slow. I yelled at him, gave him a dirty look while going around him. I went to the grocery store and parked. And, then he pulled into the parking lot and parked near me. I thought he was going to do me harm. I saw him in the store. He gave me a dirty look, and I just smiled, pretending it wasn't me. I didn't go back to that store for a long time. So, I know it is a character flaw. I am sorry for yelling at everyone I am around. Just know that I am out there. Straighten up.

No comments: