Friday, August 22, 2008

Zoos

This is my 200th post. A lot of stuff. Anyone reading them would find out a lot about me. Hopefully some words of wisdom along the way. So today, I wanted to write about something that brings me joy in my otherwise joyless life, and that is zoos. I love the zoo. Why? I guess it is because it is a place of solitude. It is amazing how much peace animals can give you. They may not even mean to, but they do. When I was a small child in New Orleans, my mother would take me to the zoo at Audubon Park. It was a magical place. Upon moving to Columbia, they didn't have a zoo at first, but the schoolchildren took up money with the motto "Zoo's Who's". I know. It didn't make much sense, but it was catchy. Happy the Tiger was the first resident of the Columbia Zoo that was renamed Riverbanks. That is a very good zoo. When I lived in Fort Worth, they had a zoo at Forest Park. It wasn't very good, but they did have some exotic animals. I lived about a half of a mile from the zoo, and when the wind was right... Oh, the smell!! When coming to Greenville, I found they had a zoo. It is not very big, but they have some interesting animals, such as lions, giraffes, elephants, lots of reptiles, and others. I went there yesterday and watched the female lion kick a ball like a soccer player. It was very funny. I have also visited the Berlin Zoo in Germany, which was notated in my Europe trip remembrances in July. I used to say that I worked at a zoo, which was Columbia Mall, but that's another story. But seriously, I love the zoo. It is a place to get away from one's problems and will put everything into perspective. A good thing.

No comments: