Thursday, August 21, 2008

Hitchhiking

First of all, let me say that I don't condone hitchhiking. I grew up in a much safer time. We didn't know about predators. If I wanted to get from point A to point B, I hitchhiked. This was in college, when I didn't have a car. I walked everywhere. I didn't know about it being good exercise. All I knew was I wanted to go places, and it was easy to get there. In Anderson, the college was a few miles from the mall. When I wanted to go shopping, I knew that if I walked slow along the street, with my head down, people would pick me up. Yes, I manipulated folks to pick me up, but they were also kind. They didn't have to do it. I went to a concert in Clemson with some friends. They told me that they would meet me after the show to go back to Anderson, but they didn't, and I was left to fend for myself. I spent the night in the lobby of a hotel and surprised the janitor the next morning. He had cut on the TV to listen to gospel music, and I woke up and yelled out at him for waking me. I got myself together and left the hotel to go back to Anderson, some 20 miles away. I tried to get picked up and finally did by three kids in a Cadillac. As I talked to them, I found out that they had stolen the car. I could see going to jail as an accessory, so I told them to let me out about 5 miles early. When I went to PC, the area was much smaller, so I didn't need as many rides. I also used the bus a lot. I would take the bus to Laurens to go to the movies. They had a movie theatre in Clinton, but it would show PG movies only. You could see R movies in Laurens. One night, I went by bus to see a movie in Laurens, but the last bus left before the movie was over, so I began to walk back to Clinton, which was about 10 miles away. It was dark, and I became disoriented. I got on a road that took me away from the road I was supposed to be on, so I ended up walking about 5 miles out of my way, after I realized my error. I headed back up the right road and got almost 2 miles from my destination, when I got picked up by a guy in a souped up car. He took me to PC. I was a little scared, as I had long hair, and he didn't. So, that about ended my hitchhiking career. I wouldn't do it now, because there are a lot of crazies out there. You just never know.

No comments: