Sunday, August 17, 2008

Ski Trip

We are in the midst of summer, so I was thinking about the cold. When I was a member of the life-saving youth group at Kilbourne Park, we went to the North Carolina mountains to go snow skiing. We took a large bus that thankfully was soundproof, because as we went through small towns, we waved at the residents by saying "Hi Grits". They would wave back. If they had actually heard us, we would have probably not gone skiing. We got to the ski resort, and most of us had never put on snow skis before. We took a brief lesson and off we went. There were three slopes--beginner, intermediate, and advanced. I spent most of my time on the beginner slope. It was a lot of fun, except for the fact that the only way I could stop was to fall down. I fell a lot. Later on in the day, some of us wanted to try the intermediate slope. I got up to the top and found myself sliding down the slope, as it was impossible to ski for me. I couldn't go side to side like most people. As the day was about to end, I took a shot at the advanced slope. I got up on the skis and did pretty well, until it was time to stop, and all bets were off. I slid most of the way down to the bottom. That was my skiing experience. I never tried water skiing, since I can't swim. But, back to our ski trip. We stayed that night at a motel in the mountains. The guys in our group wanted to have a snowball fight with the girls of our group. Things went pretty well, until the next morning, when we waked up to the news that we had destroyed a man's car convertible top with the snow and ice that caused it to collapse. The church's insurance took care of the bill. We didn't go on another ski trip. I wonder why?

No comments: