Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Political Junkie

I am a political junkie. I grew up in a family of political junkies. My father wasn't so much, but my mother and brother were. Most of the people on my mother's side were politcal junkies. Some of them held political office. A few on my father's side also held political office. One of my ancestors was a man named Lord Delawar, which the state of Delaware was named for. I also have royal blood from France. I think all of this contributes to me being a political junkie. So, with the Democrats and Republicans having their conventions this week and next, I am really enjoying it. Is this weird? Yeah, probably. But, it is one of those things that make me up into my complex self. I can't say at this point, who I plan to vote for, but I can say that this stuff is fun. The conventions don't have much suspense anymore, since we already know who are the nominees, but there is always something that inspires, like Ted Kennedy's speech last night. When I had cable, I watched CNN, MSNBC, and even Fox News all the time. I knew news. I don't have cable now, since I moved, but I still watch as much news as I can. Growing up, we always watched the 6:30pm news on NBC. Our house stopped for that time. I still watch that news. It is the thing that I do, and if I miss it for some reason, I feel like my life is incomplete. As my life has been shall we say "colorful", I don't think I could ever hold elective office. There is just a little bit too much stuff that I have done, whether chemical or illegal. So, I just don't think I would survive the scrutiny of reporters. So, I can be a political junkie without being in politics.

No comments: