Wednesday, August 27, 2008

The Weather

A friend told me once that things are more important than the weather. He said that our conversation should be deeper than "How's the weather?" I suppose that is true, but on days like yesterday where we had good and bad, the weather is the most important thing. It started off with wonderful rain. It was drenching rain. It was rain from the tropical storm Fay. We are in a severe drought. There are water restrictions. There is worry that we might not have enough water for drinking and bathing. So, when there is a lot of rain, everyone gets excited. You see people walking around smiling, and you know why. It is raining. I guess those folks in Washington State can't understand why we are so happy about rain, but we just don't get much. It is a beautiful thing. But yesterday, things got ugly. The storms brought tornadoes. I have written earlier about my experience with tornadoes. Some folks get excited about tornadoes. I have friends who want to chase these things. I say no. I want to get away from those things. They don't excite me in the least. I say let's duck and cover. The storms came. A tornado went through Clemson and did some damage. I think there were others, too. Thankfully, there were no injuries, just some property damage. There were tornadoes where I am. I think this condo is built pretty well, but it is still scary. If I ask you how is the weather, I am not being superficial. I am truly interested. We had the good rain, but we had the bad storms. At least, it wasn't too ugly for us. Pray it doesn't get too bad today.

No comments: