Saturday, August 9, 2008

Important Conversation

It is said that 90% of what we say each day is unimportant. Frivolous conversation. If you think about it, that is probably true. There are some occupations where that percentage would be lower. Can you imagine a 911 operator answering the phone with, "Hey, how's it going? How's the family? How 'bout those Tigers?" So, there are some situations, where it is important to talk about things that matter. At least, things that matter to the other person. The problem is that often times we don't listen to what people are saying. "What"? Exactly. Or, you try and cover it up by just agreeing with the person telling you something. I worked with a guy in Electronics. People would ask him questions about cd players or TV's. He didn't know much about technical issues, so he would just agree with the customers. I wonder how many customers bought a cd player thinking it was a DVD player and wondering why it wasn't working right. They let him go, because he wasn't very smart. When I was told they were letting him go, I told them that it was his birthday that day. They had missed that important bit of information before letting him go. Another example of why one needs to listen. When my friend B.J. died, some people said they had no idea she had problems. They didn't listen. When I was having some serious problems, some people close to me wouldn't listen. If you make a conscious effort not to listen, that can be very hurtful, but that is probably another discussion for later. My father had a favorite sermon called "Are You Listening?". So, are you listening? I may be vague with some of my references, especially as it relates to love, as I have a very hard time expressing that. But, listen. Maybe you will hear something important. At least 10% of the time.

No comments: