Friday, August 8, 2008

The Olympics

Today is the start of the Summer Olympic Games in China. 8-8-08. Apparently, the number "8" is good luck in China. Much like "7" is in the US. In many ways, these Olympics are coming off as being the sporting event brought to you by NBC with as much hype as has been going on. But, the Olympics goes beyond that. They are supposed to be pure sport, and let's hope it happens without any problems, but since it is in China, you know there will be protests. That is something that is not new to the Olympics. I don't blame anyone who wants to get on TV to promote their cause, but let's step back and think about how much personal sacrifice it has taken the athletes to get there. Most of them have spent their entire lives to get to the Olympics. Many have no personal life. All they know is a gym or a pool. Some have had parents who wanted their child to be a star. They pushed their children to be better than the other kids. I don't agree with this. If a child wants to be the fastest swimmer or the best gymnast, then okay. I also like the idea of just three awards--gold, silver and bronze. They don't give awards to each contestant. You see that a lot now in schools. Every kid gets an award, whether they come in first or last. They don't want to give any kids a complex. As someone who frequently was last in races, I can tell you that if I got an award for being last, I would never have tried to do better. A highlight of my life was when I ran the 100-yard dash in 9.3, although the wind was behind my back, and it didn't count. I didn't get an award for it, but I did get a lot of people with open mouths, when I crossed the finish line. I never did that again. I have also won awards for acting. They didn't give them to everybody, just me. Imagine going to the Academy Awards. 5 actors are nominated, and all 5 get the award, because they didn't want to offend anyone. That's not how life works. Some win and some lose. In watching the coverage, the NBC folks said that this might be the biggest opportunity for the US to do great in the Olympics. Some athletes from other countries know they don't have a chance. It is just a big deal for them that they made it to the Olympics. What a horrible thing to say. One great thing about sport is that everyone has a chance. There are always upsets. So, don't be all high and mighty and think that we are better than you. I know this is a lot to think about, so enjoy the games. And, if your team doesn't win, just think--they got a trip to China out of it.

No comments: