Sunday, August 10, 2008

Men Are Slobs

Is that true? Are all men slobs? Probably not. A friend told me recently that, from her experience, all men are slobs. I think there are degrees of this. So, let's look at me, since this is my world. What evidence is there that I am a slob? Okay, it is true that I only used a vacuum in my apartment 3 times in 14 years. It was 7 years, before I used it the first time. But, there was a reason for that. I didn't have a vacuum cleaner and could not afford one for quite a while. That's my rationale. Of course, I did develop lung problems, so the tidy people would say that was a result of living in a world of dust. My rationale? I had asthma as a child, and it was dormant for a while and then came back. Now, I am more dust-free, so I can breathe better. So, maybe my rationale doesn't hold much water. Then, there was a Sunday morning, when I was cooking beef stew in the microwave. I did what I was supposed to do, but I opened the container too soon after cooking, and it blew up all over the walls of the kitchen in my apartment. I cleaned off a little, but most stuck to the walls. That is probably why I didn't get my deposit back after I moved. To my defense, I grew up in a house with a maid much of the time. I was never really taught to clean. I am learning how to do it now. Dirt now bothers me. I may not make up my bed every day. I still may not be the cleanest person in the world. I am not Martha Stewart. But, I have found that there are dirtier people than me. We all have our quirks. Not all men are slobs. Women will probably disagree with me, and that's okay. Even though I may look disorganized, I know where most things are. If I don't, I won't admit it. I'll just be forced to look for it. So, to the one who suggested that all men are slobs (she knows who she is), let me prove it to you that I might not be quite the norm.

No comments: