Friday, May 30, 2008

We The People

"We the People" is one of those fundamental things in the USA. It is a phrase that is supposed to bring us all together. It is a phrase that creates one country, and we all want to sing "Kum Ba Ya". So, what has happened to us? President Bush is coming here tomorrow to speak at a commencement. Security will be tight for his visit, as it should be. After all, we are at war. There are a lot of people who want to do harm to him. But, we are the people. I may not have voted for him, and I may not agree with his policies, but he is the President. He holds a level of respect. So, he is coming here, and he will speak in a large stadium. It will hold way more people than will be there. But, the event is not open to the public. And to make matters worse, many of the faculty will not be there, because they disagree with Bush's policies. Let me have their seat. I want to see the President, because he is the President, and I have seen all the other Presidents of my lifetime. It will probably be the last time I will have this chance. So, unless I luck out tomorrow, I will miss seeing the President. And while we are on this subject, have you noticed that our candidates do not open their rallies to everyone? Just the ones who support the candidate. So, "We the People" may not exist anymore. Thomas Jefferson is rolling over in his grave. Our country is just for some of the people, not all of the people.

No comments: