Thursday, April 17, 2008

Beauty Pageants

I like beauty pageants. I always have. As a kid growing up, we watched the Miss America pageant every year on TV. I even went to Atlantic City one year and saw where the pageant was held. It's not there anymore. But, I would see the 50 women and pick out one who I thought should win. She would make it to the top 5. Usually, I could pick a winner from the finalists. I just had a knack for that. My secret was to look for beauty and poise. Not everyone has both. But, here is my pet peeve about beauty pageants, especially Miss America. Have you noticed how many of the contestants don't live in the community that they represent? Some are "professional" pageant contestants who travel from place to place trying to win something. My feeling is that if you represent a city, county or state, then you should actually live in that city, county or state. Don't just be in school there but live somewhere else. It sort of ruins it if Miss Oklahoma's family actually lives in Missouri. Well, enough ranting about beauty pageants. And, to the pageants...the swimsuits are not sexist. Sorry, Kare.

No comments: