Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Attention Deficit

What happened to kids? When I was growing up, if a kid was not paying attention in school or seemed out of it, he or she was given some extra attention by the teacher, who also involved the parents. If worse came to worse, the school psychologist was called in. Now, the kids have a disease called ADHD. It has to do with "Attention Deficit". What is this? They have drugs to mellow out the kid. So, how did the kid catch this disease? Some would argue TV or video games. We live in such a fast-paced world that things have to be immediate. You can't just sit and think. You have to get in and get out. Fast food. It all contributes. But, I think a lot of this was dreamed up by drug companies to make money. And, while I am on the subject of kids, there are two other things I want to say. First, what happened to imagination? When I was a kid, we played outside and invented games. Now, everything is presented to them, and there are no individual thought processes. I would be willing to bet that if you give a kid a rock and a stick, he won't know what to do with them. They are just rocks and sticks. The second thing is to parents--PLEASE don't treat kids like adults. I can't tell you the number of times I have seen mothers trying to reason with their small children as if they were on equal footing. They aren't. They are kids. Unless, the parent's mental capacity is that of a child, but I would hope it is not. In order to raise a child, and this is coming from someone who doesn't have kids, you need to treat children like children, by definition. And, when did spanking become child abuse? My parents spanked me, and they didn't end up in jail. I think the statute of limitations has run out on them. I think it all comes down to two things--children need to respect their parents, and parents need to be there for their children. Sorry if I stepped on any toes here. I guess I am not politically correct on this issue. I'm sorry, what were we talking about? I have ADHD.

No comments: