Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Where Were You

In order to be a better person, one must look forward but remember the past. We all remember where we were when important events happened. So, here is a list of where I was:
1. JFK Assassinated--In 5th grade class. We were sculpting clay bricks, and a teacher ran into the room and said to our teacher to cut on the TV, Kennedy had been shot. I dropped my knife on the table in shock. No one cut off their TV's that weekend. Mother and I saw Oswald shot on live TV Sunday morning.
2. Martin Luther King killed--in the bathroom. Daddy was cleaning my face with Pernox for acne, and we heard it on the radio.
3. Bobby Kennedy killed--in Houston TX. We had gone there for the Southern Baptist Convention and saw the newspaper that morning in a rack.
4. Marilyn Monroe died--in a car between Columbia and Charleston. I thought Daddy was going to run off the road.
5. Neil Armstrong walks on the moon--at home early in the morning. My parents made me watch it.
6. The Challenger exploded--at Belk taking inventory. My supervisor told me about it, but it didn't register at the time, because I was concentrating about the inventory. When I left the store about 4:30pm, I saw a kid selling an Extra newspaper on the street, and I became violently sick.
7. 9/11--at Rich's. We were opening early that day, and my friend Thom came in and said he had heard a plane had hit the World Trade Center. I thought it was a private plane. I went to the breakroom to see a TV just in time to see the second plane hit. I was glued to the TV. We closed early that day. The next day, I went to the post office and saw a lady who worked there. We just started crying together. We should never forget that day.
It seems that we remember more bad things than good as to where we were on those days. But, we must not forget the past, because if we do, then we will surely repeat it, rather than growing because of it.

No comments: