Monday, March 17, 2008

Trouble

As you can see, I was a troublemaker at PC. I did plays and was very good there, but I wanted change. My best friend was the editor of the school newspaper. We did stuff like call a wrecker to tow away the Dean of Students car out of his driveway at 2am and watch the Dean run outside in his bathrobe yelling "That's my car". It was a good time. The last weekend before graduation, most of the students had moved out, and there were just a few of us still there. A guy, who had a phone in his room, mistakenly left his room unlocked. Me, the editor, and a couple other guys found the phone. For two days and nights, we called all over the world on his phone. While some of us slept, others would call, so someone was always on the phone. I called the Israeli embassy in NYC and told them that I was with the British government, and we didn't appreciate their treatment of our citizens. We called Hawaii to book hotel ballrooms for non-existent weddings, using the local numbers. We called Paris and enrolled in the Sorbonne. We called China to try and speak to the Premier. It was great. A week later, the editor and I were standing around before graduation, and the guy whose phone we used came up to us all frantic. He had gotten the phone bill, not knowing that we were the ones who used it. The bill was $1500. We assured him that he wouldn't have to pay it, if he could prove he wasn't there. We acted very innocent. Then, after he left, we looked in the graduation program for our names and couldn't find them. We got scared. How could we explain it to our parents that they weren't letting us graduate? A week before, I had been called into the registrar's office and was told that I was 3 hours short, but they were going to let me graduate, because they wanted to get rid of me. I had gone over and told my editor friend, and he ran an article about the registrar making a deal with me. So, we thought maybe this was their way of getting back at us. Then, much to our delight, we found that we were looking on the Bachelor of Science page, and our names were on the Bachelor of Arts page. Relief. For all concerned.

No comments: