Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Teaching

When I was a student at Anderson College, the Academic Dean wanted me to teach there after I got out of school. He said I would need to get a Master's Degree first. So, after I graduated from PC with a BA in Fine Arts, I took off a year and worked at Belk Department Store to get enough money for a car that would take me to graduate school. I chose Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary in Fort Worth TX for a couple of reasons. Both my parents had gone there, and it was easy to be accepted. My grades were not the best in college. In order to go to SWBTS, one had to take a personality test called the MMPI. I did and was accepted. I drove from SC to TX in my Ford Maverick and moved into the men's dorm. I had a private room. The school did not have a major in the Arts, so they invented the Communications major for me. For my master's thesis, they had me direct a play. It was a huge cast, and we never got everybody together until the dress rehearsal. I was popping Rolaids like candy, but it was a success. I wrote a one-act while there that we did for a youth conference. 9 months later, the idea turned up in a Wendy's commercial, but there was nothing I could do, as the play wasn't copyrighted. Live and learn. After I graduated, I contacted Anderson College, but the Academic Dean had moved on, and they didn't know anything about the deal he made with me. Oh well.

No comments: