Friday, March 28, 2008

Respect

No, I am not going to talk about Aretha Franklin. I was taught at an early age to treat people equally. My mother's father was a judge in Alabama. My grandmother was a school teacher. She later became the Mother of the Year in Alabama. Around the early 1900's, my grandmother taught the white kids in the morning, and the black kids in the afternoon. The Klan did not like that she was teaching the black kids, so one night they shot up their house and burned a cross in their yard. My grandfather found out who did it and threw them all in jail. I was taught to treat people like people. I see a lot of racism still. I remember the separate water fountains and restrooms. We have come a long way, but there is much more to go. I get irritated that some people cop an attitude and think they are better than others, or that they thing they deserve something from others. Here's a clue for you. You don't. Here's what people have to do to get along--respect others for who they are. That's it. There will be no whippings or lynchings tonight on my watch. But, to all of those who think the white man owes you something, just remember that we are all in this boat of life together. In God's eyes, we are all equal. Let's all take a deep breath. Once, a man called me a racist, because I wouldn't wait on him quick enough in a shoe store. He didn't know me. I knew him. When he found out who I was, he got quiet. So, I say for everyone not to judge others and respect others. Life will be so much better.

No comments: