Monday, June 21, 2010

Father's Day

Yesterday was Father's Day. A day we remember our fathers or honor our fathers. It is a day that is not qui9te as big as Mother's Day, although I really think they should be celebrated together. After all, about 99.99999% of babies born in the world have had a mother and a father. Maybe those folks from test tubes or artificially inseminated could question the motehr and father theory, but for most of us, we had a mother and a father.

I have written here before about my father. He wasn't around a lot, since he was working. I didn't really realize until much loater in his life exactly what an impact he had on others. We really didn't see eye to eye on most issues, and quite frankly we fought a lot. But, he was still my father.

When I went off to college, one of the questions they asked you was the furtherest you had been. At that time for me it was California. My father had taken us to Disneyland and San Francisco, when I was 5. It was our cross country vacation. Some people in my college class had not been past Atlanta. I thought that was strange. Didn't everybody have vacations to California? Didn't everybody travel to 29 out of the 50 states? Didn't they? Well, we did. And,
I didn't realize how special our family was. I didn't realize how special my father was. I kind of knew about my Mother, but not Daddy. I just knew him as my father.

He is in Heaven now. I have learned much more about him over the years. I won't bore you with it, but just to say that we had a good life in our growing up. We had good parents. I wish more could say that, and then maybe our world would be a better place.

No comments: