Thursday, May 13, 2010

Caring Souls

Last week, I got an email on my Myspace page. It was quite unusual, because I really don't use Myspace much, and the emails I usually get on there are spam, so this was quite unusual. The email was from a place called USC Supportive Housing. It is an arm of the USC School of Medicine, and their goal is to help homeless people with housing and counseling. I had been there before with a friend but had not applied to them personally. Why? I don't really know why. But, they wanted to talk with me. The only contact I had had from them with anything was that they ran the winter shelter, where I spent two weeks.

So, last Friday, I went to see them. I met with the guy who oversaw the shelter, and the first words out of his mouth were that there were a lot of people who cared about me. I know that people care, but I have been told no so many times during this homeless ordeal that I have become a little less trusting. So, I have to be reminded about those who care. He told me that a friend in city politics contacted him on my behalf. I did not request this person to do anything for me, but she cared. So, I was put on the fast track to get housing that could be permanent.

I have met with the man once since that initial meeting, and we got the ball rolling. My church is filled with caring souls. It looks like I will be able to get into a place soon. I was to have another meeting today, but it was postponed until Monday. I should have a more clear picture then. But, I am deeply humbled that people care about me. I have gotten some criticism about my being put on the fast track. You know the old saying--It is not what you know, it is who you know. I am deeply sorry about this and maybe losing some friends over it, but if they were in my position, they would have done the same thing. No, that's okay. Let someone else have the place. I'll just wait my turn. Well, guess what? It doesn't work that way. Life is sometimes unfair.

So, I thank God that there are caring souls out there. I just hope that I won't let them down. And, if I say thank you so many times that you get tired of it, then so be it. Thank you.

No comments: