Thursday, December 10, 2009

Some Werds

I used to love George Carlin's humor. I still do, although he is gone. When I worked for the government, and somebody told me their spouse was gone, I asked when would they expect him back? And then, they'd start crying. Carlin used the word "werd" to describe strange or weird words. Words that we used without knowing why. Words like kit and kaboodle. What's a kaboodle? Words like refinish. If you refinish a table, don't you have to restart? I suggest you listen to Carlin's recordings. Yes, he uses profanity, but he is also very insightful.

I mention this, because of recent events. As an actor, I have been trained to listen and observe others. One thing I have noticed is how much cursing black males do, and how loud their voices are. I think it may be because of a lack of schooling, or maybe a habit, but it is like every other word is a curse word. MF this and MF that. Or, they use the "N" word to describe their pwn. If white people did that, they would be branded as racists, but it is okay for black people to do it. I don't use that word. Never have. Never will. It is offensive to me, but yet, in their culture, it is acceptable.

Another word I hear a lot is "liberry" for "library". They drop the middle "r". I hear that word across the board. Whites, blacks, it doesn't matter. People who are educated and those who maybe aren't. The word is "library". Maybe it is a lack of diction. Maybe people are lazy. But, it shows a lack of education.

One more word I cringe, when people say it, is "Valentimes". The word is supposed to be "Valentines". Where did the "m" come from? Did they miss February 14th in school? Get with it, people. Don't sound stupid. And then people wonder why our culture is going down the tubes.

No comments: