Tuesday, December 8, 2009

The Racist

Several years ago, JB White's Department Store was sued by a group of black people because the store had a White Sale for linens. They had done a White Sale for years, but now some people wanted to make a name for themselves by suing the company. The suit was thrown out of court, but they had made their point. If there was going to be a White Sale, then there should be a Black Sale too. Of course, there isn't. If a store did a Black Sale, and white people objected, the whites would be racists. Not the store.

Our society is made up of a minority of individuals who are either very defensive or want to make a point, whether it is justified or not. You look at the Confederate flag flying on the State House grounds. Most people just think it is a part of our history, but a few vocal folks want it to be taken down. Nevermind, there is a monument to slavery on the State House grounds. There is also a monument to the first gynecologist in the US on the State House grounds. Personally, I take offense to the doctor's monument, because I am sure there are others in this state who have been the first in something, but I don't contact the American Medical Association and say I am going to boycott all doctors because of that monument. You see how stupid that would be?

So, I say all that to talk about racism. I have written before about my Grandmother Merrill who taught white kids and black kids in the early 1900's in Alabama. The Klan didn't like her doing that, but she felt it was the right thing to do. All of my life, I have been brought up to treat all races and cultures equally. We are all God's children. Red, Yellow, Black and White. We are all equal in God's sight. So, this past Sunday I was called a racist. I was in the Greer SC Christmas parade passing out stickers mostly to kids. I was trying to hit everyone, despite the numbers of people, and I was falling behind the rest of my crew. I passed by a black man and his son without giving them a sticker. The man yells out to me that I am a racist. I turned around and challenged him by saying that I was sorry that I had skipped over his child, but I had given out stickers to other black children further up the parade. He kept yelling that I was a racist. He didn't know me, and I didn't really want to know him, but I apologized and offered a sticker to his son. He said he didn't want it now, because I was a racist. I wished him a Merry Christmas and continued on the parade route. People who know me know I am not a racist. I never have been. But, it also upsets me when people try and throw that word out there without knowing the facts about me or my family. Generalizations hurt. Let's work to see everyone has people. As individuals. Talk to one another and maybe you will find similarities between you and others. And, please don't throw out terms. If you want to get past racism, don't be so defensive. Yes, I know that black people have suffered a lot of persecution over the years. So have I as a skinny white man with glasses and homeless. Don't talk to me about being a racist. I'm not and neither should you be.

So, to the man in Greer last Sunday--I apologize for missing your son with the sticker. And maybe you should apologize for your attitude. Let's shake hands and make this world a more equal place.

No comments: