Thursday, December 3, 2009

An Encounter

Due to my sleep position in the bed at the mission, I often get cramps in my legs. They are rather painful. We get up between 5:30 and 6 in the morning and have to stand outside in all weather, waiting for breakfast, when we can come back inside. So, when I go outside before breakfast, I take a little walk for about two blocks to get my legs working again. I also pass by a paper box and read the headlines of the day. I have been walking through an apartment parking lot to cut through from one side of the block to the other, especially if it is cold like this morning.

I noticed a police car on Main Street just sitting there this morning in the middle of the block, as I crossed the street and continued my walk. He followed me. As I came out of the parking lot, he continued to follow me. As I made my way back to the mission, he continued to follow me. When I got to the mission, he shined his light in my eyes and told me to come over and see him, which I did. He asked me where I lived, and I told him the mission. He asked me where I slept, and I told him the mission. Then, he wanted to see some ID, which I gave him, and he wrote it all down on his pad. He informed me that there had been some car break-ins recently in that parking lot and wanted to know if I knew anything about it. I told him no. He wanted to know why I was in that parking lot, and I told him about my daily walk for my cramped legs. He didn't appear to me as if he believed me. He then told me that if I was seen in that parking lot again, that I would be arrested for trespassing. So, I guess I won't be able to visit my friend Keith who lives there. Even if I wanted to.

I can't say the cop was harrassing me, since I have to look at it from his point of view. But, he should not jump to any conclusions either and think that I was trespassing. The moral of the story...stay on the public sidewalks.

No comments: