Friday, October 9, 2009

Lenny Farmer

I have a friend named Lenny Farmer, although his first name is actually Walter. He and I were suitemates at Anderson College. He introduced me to Frank Zappa's music early on, and anyone who knows Lenny would find that strange. He and I were like brothers at Anderson. We were best friends. That was a jammin' suite that year with Steve Aaron, Mike Campbell, Ricky Branham, Louis Nexsen, and Lenny's roommate whose name escapes me. Lenny majored in music, and I was majoring in English. One day, the music professor asked Lenny to move the piano onto the stage of the auditorium to get ready for the next day's chapel. He asked me if I wanted to help him. When we got to the auditorium, there was a play rehearsal going on, so we sat quietly waiting for it to end. A student named Reed Bowman saw us sitting out there and asked us if we wanted to be in the play. Lenny didin't, but I agreed to do a small part. That play was "Up the Down Staircase", and that event changed my life. I dropped the English major and decided to major in Speech and Drama. And, as they say, the rest is history. Lenny and I went our separate ways after AC, but we stayed in contact. We both went to seminary. Lenny became a preacher for several years. He would later move to TN and go into business, but staying with his ministry roots. He became a big fan of The Cobbwebs, which I write songs for. Lenny is in a hospital today after having heart surgery a couple of days ago. All indications are he will be okay. If you have a moment today, say a prayer for Lenny.

No comments: