Monday, August 24, 2009

A Quitter

A friend told me last week that he never thought of me as a quitter. I have tried not to be, despite things around me. I have quit at a couple of things in my life, but I have always seen another door open. That's the thing about creative people. We have to move on to the next great adventure. When I came back to Columbia in May, I was looking for the next great adventure. It was going to be a time of getting reacquainted with old friends. It was going to be a time of finding new challenges. It was going to be a time to once again be a success. So, here's what has happened so far. I have been able to connect with old friends. Maybe not as often as I would like, but it has been fun when I had. I have been able to find new challenges. Whether it be with selling some things on the internet, or establishing an exercise program. But, the success part has not come. The sad part about all of this is that most folks are out there for themselves, and they don't really care about others. Yes, they say they will pray for you. Now, I am not saying no to their prayers. After all, I am a firm believer in prayer. But, prayer by itself will not put food in one's stomach or pay for a roof over one's head. There needs to be action behind the prayers. Now, don't get me wrong. I haven't just been sitting back and watching the world go by. I have tried to find a decent job. Unfortunately with no success. I don't know if it is my age, sex, race, or ability level, but I have slipped through the cracks. I have enjoyed the volunteering for Andre, although I was hoping it would develop into a paid gig. Apparently not. There is a job fair here in Columbia on Wednesday, and my motel is paid up until Thursday morning. After that, who knows what might happen? I have been thinking maybe going back to Greenville for a while. Where would I live? No clue. I still have my stuff in storage here, and that isn't going anywhere. I do have my post office box here in Columbia. I think that is up in December. But, I don't have any more money to live anywhere. And, unless I can find someone who can take me in for a while, I guess I will be homeless. Or, I will just quit. Not a happy thought. My friend Joni keeps telling me to be positive. I am trying, Joni. I am trying. So, if anyone can spare a few dollars, my PayPal acct. is durst11@gmail.com. Or, my mailing address is: PO Box 1464, Columbia SC 29202. I need help, and I need it fast. Thanks.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

check you email