Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Magic Words

When I was growing up, my Mother used to tell me that there were magic words. These words would open doors for me, and make me a better person. They had power, and they also showed that I was polite. Kids growing up today may not know these magic words. They expect things to be delivered to them without question. So, what are these magic words? Should I tell the secret? Well, okay. The words are "please" and "thank you". You hear "thank you" a lot from people who say it without thinking. But, you don't hear "please" as much. Why is that? Have we become so complacent in our speech that "please" doesn't mean as much? It should. I must say that I have been guilty of saying "please" a lot lately. I think that some people are tired of me saying "please". Or, they think I am using the word "please" as some sort of scam. Or, they don't want to be bothered by my saying "please". Whatever the reason, I apologize. I am just trying to survive one more day. And, if I say "please", it is coming from the heart, as my Mother instructed me those many years ago. For me, "please" is a powerful word. It is a word that I use not lightly. It is a word that I use, because I have no where else to turn. I pray to God--please help me. Give me strength to carry on. And, please put it in the heart of someone to help me. Sometimes, He does. Other times, I feel like some people are not tuned in to the right frequency. I know I am not the only person with problems. I know the world does not revolve around me. Although, I know some people that it does, and they know it. But, I also know that there is goodness out there in this world. And, just as I feel it is time to give up, something happens. Tears come to my eyes, as I realize once again that God loves me. So, again I say "please". Please help me. And, God, thank you for the lessons you continue to show me. I may not be perfect. But, I am a child of God. As an aside, I was going to write this blog today as something of a farewell speech. But, I think I will not do that today. I can't say what tomorrow will bring, but I thank Him for bringing me here today. May God bless you.

No comments: