Thursday, July 9, 2009

Roman Holiday

We toured Rome the next day. We saw a lot of old stuff. We went to Vatican City and almost got thrown out of the Sistine Chapel, because someone took a picture with a flash. We got through it by saying it was an accident. In the spirit of experiencing the local flavor, the young people had some wine for lunch. Then, we had to chew a bunch of gum to try and get it off our breath, because our tour director was a Baptist minister, and he didn't approve of alcohol. We just didn't breathe on him for the rest of the day, until we could get back to the hotel to use mouthwash. I liked the history of Rome and would like to go back and see it again. One thing about Sandra was that she never talked about death. She liked to live in the moment. So, when I got a phone call in my hotel room from her that night that said to come to her room, because she was afraid she was going to die, I knew she was afraid. I got there and found her and Talula in terror. They had wanted towels in their room. There were buttons on a table to summon different hotel people. She thought that she had pressed the button for the maid but did the bellhop instead. She answered the door wearing almost nothing. She screamed. He smiled. They were afraid of him. So, she called me to come and protect her. We talked about how to get back at him and decided on playing a trick. She would call the bellhop back to apologize for being rude to him and invite him into the room. I would come out of the bathroom, having flushed the toilet, and zipping up my fly. And, then smile at the bellhop and tell him that we were all going to party together. So, we put our plan into motion. The bellhop got there pretty fast. He thought that he was going to have two American girls for himself. He knocked on the door and was invited in. I flushed the toilet and came out to surprise him. He ran out of the door in embarrassment. We had a good laugh over it. I told Sandra and Talula good night and went back to my room. Mr. Vivian wanted to know what was wrong, and I said nothing and went to bed. But, our trick would not go unnoticed.

No comments: