Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Koko Taylor

I just heard that Koko Taylor passed away today. I saw her in concert in Columbia a few years ago. It was a cold Sunday afternoon. The great Buddy Guy opened for her. The show was outside. Buddy Guy worked the crowd with his guitar licks. Then, Koko came on. She was frail and had to sit most of the show, but her voice was strong. I fell in love with the Blues several years ago thanks to WUSC-FM. On Monday nights, they would have a Blues show and play some of the classic stars. BB King, Albert King, Etta James, Koko Taylor, Robert Johnson, Stevie Ray Vaughan, and so many more. One could make the case that the Blues was in my blood from being born in New Orleans. After all, that kind of music grew from that region of the country. As did Jazz. I loved Jazz before I heard the Blues. When I lived in Fort Worth, I bought a bunch of Jazz albums. Jazz was pure. Then, I discovered Blues, but I didn't really listen to it much until I got back to Columbia. Every Monday night, I would play volleyball at First Baptist and then go get something to eat afterwards. That is where I would hear the radio show in my car. It was a groovy thing. I started buying Blues albums. BB King came to Columbia, and I went to his concert. It was very close to Heaven on Earth. I even got to meet him after the show. He was very gracious and gave me a pin. The great English bluesman, John Mayall, came to Columbia. I went to that show. Some folks may not know his name, but without John Mayall, there would have been no Eric Clapton, Steve Winwood, Mick Taylor, and lots more. Then, when I heard the news that Buddy Guy and Koko Taylor were going to be in Columbia, I knew I had to go. Chicago Blues at its best. One could make the case that my life is one case of the Blues. If it wasn't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all. But, that's another story for another day. For now, Koko Taylor has joined all of those other artists in Heaven. Let's have a Wang Dang Doodle All the Day for her. Thanks, Koko.

No comments: