Thursday, April 2, 2009

Grace Irby

I got the news today that the mother of a friend of mine passed away yesterday. Her name was Grace Irby. I knew her, when I was a member of Kilbourne Park Baptist Church. She was the mother of my friend Pam. I guess the word "friend" is too mild, when I refer to Pam. God used her and others in that church as catalysts to keep me alive and show me about self-worth and love. Two things that I knew nothing about. I worked for Pam's father at J.B. White's, and I also was over at their house a few times along my journey. Pam moved to Milwaukee, and her parents moved to Tifton GA. But, I continued my connection with Pam through the mail and later email. She told me of her mother's struggle with cancer. I knew that things were not good with her mother, but her mother had a strong faith in God, as does Pam and her father. I have written in many blogs before about the importance of friends. About the impact of that church had on my life. About the people who have kept me going. About friends. Death is something that we all have to face. We have a choice though. Do we face it being torn up by it, or do we face it with dignity. Grace Irby knew it would happen. She was strong and faced it with dignity. There is a lesson to be learned here. I feel blessed to have known her. Say a prayer for Roy and Pam today.

No comments: