Friday, March 27, 2009

Positive Reinforcement

This is not a blog about self-pity. Shock!! Aren't most about self-pity? I guess a lot have been, and I am trying to get away from that. But, this blog is called "My World", and that is part of what I am. But, today I want to discuss positive reinforcement. What does that mean? For those who don't know, they are the ones I would like to address today. During this time of struggle in my life, both financially and emotionally, there have been a few people who have taken it upon themselves to build me up and keep me going. I am not going to mention any names, but they know who they are. They are selfless and caring individuals. The care about my well-being. They keep me focused on the big picture. Head to the Sky. Then, there are others who want to criticize. They criticize what I eat. They criticize how I dress. They criticize where I live. Some, I think, underestimate me. Others don't really know me. I have one friend who constantly tells me, if I had done this...this...this...this...and this like she had told me, I wouldn't be in this situation now. She is all-knowing. I don't want to criticize people like that, but if you do that to me, I am just going to shut down. Age might have something to do with it, too. The older you get, the more you feel you can criticize. I can take criticism pretty well. It comes from being an actor. I like to know what others think about me to a point. But, I am trying my best just to live one more day. Does that sound trite? Haven't I said that before? Yes, and I will continue to say it. I have struggled with many demons during my life. Some I have overcome. Others I have put in a cage with hopes they don't slip out. Still others live with me daily. The more one criticizes my life--the more the demons come out. And, do you know what stops the demons in their tracks? A hug, a kind word, a smile, and being an encourager. That's all it takes. I am pretty easy in that respect. So, thanks again to those who are my positive reinforcement. And, if you want to say something critical of me, okay. But, just think before saying something. I just don't need that right now.

No comments: