Tuesday, March 31, 2009

My Style

When I was first writing poetry, everything had to rhyme. Even if the rhyme was forced. I had a friend named David Havird, who now teaches English at a college in Louisiana. David and I were in high school together, and he was a writer too. He taught me that things didn't have to rhyme. Then, I met James Dickey, who was a famous writer. He taught me about how words just need to flow. Forget rhymes. Poetry is thoughts. They need to have a rhythm, but not necessarily a rhyme. So, that is how I wrote. Then, I went to seminary and had to write a paper a day. I found that a conversational style worked best. What is strange is that now I write songs. Songs need to rhyme, so I have come full circle. I write about this, because I got a comment on my blog yesterday about my style. The anonymous writer said that the blog was interesting, but I needed to do paragraphs, because it would be easier to read. I suppose they are right, but it is not my style here. This blog is a series of ideas, thoughts, and stories. It is a capsule of my life. That's why I don't do paragraphs. It just runs along. If someone has a problem reading it, I am sorry. I have a friend who writes me without punctuation. Imagine how hard that is to read. But, his thoughts are heartfelt and genuine. That's what I try to do. Heartfelt and genuine. My style. See? I can be nice.

No comments: