Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Emergency Room

Around 5pm yesterday, I developed severe abdominal pain. At first, I thought I had pulled a muscle in my back, because I had carried a TV downstairs to my car for another load to move. I took some Tylenol, but the pain wouldn't go away. Then, I thought it was a bladder infection. I had not had one of those in about 20 years, and that was the awfulest pain, but I had taken steps not to have one of those again. I put some Ben Gay on my back, but still no relief. Finally at 8:30, I asked my roommate to take me to the hospital. The pain was just awful, and I had to find out why. When I was 3, I had a hernia operation in New Orleans. My mother asked the doctor to take out my appendix too, but he forgot. So naturally, I thought that could be the problem, but I didn't have a fever. We got to the emergency room, and the initial diagnosis was a pulled muscle. After talking to the doctor, she ordered a CAT scan. That was a new experience. It actually was kind of cool, despite the pain. So, the doctor said that I had a 2cm kidney stone that had moved to my bladder. I don't know how big 2cm is, but it is big enough to cause pain. They gave me prescriptions for Flomax and a pain killer. I was there for almost 4 hours. My roommate was nice to take me to the drug store afterwards. I am feeling a little better this morning with some pain. I hope this too will pass, no pun intended. What else can happen to me?

No comments: