Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Next Day

I was thinking, which sometimes is very dangerous, about all of the Presidential elections that I have voted in. The one yesterday was the 10th. You're that old? Yes, but only on my driver's license. I am not going to say who I have voted for, as I believe that is a private matter, but in counting up my votes, I have voted for 4 winners and 6 losers. I don't know if I vote for the underdog, since I can identify with that concept. But, I generally vote for the person I think will make the biggest difference, or the one who is most qualified. The office of the President is in many ways a ceremonial one. He (or she) is there to make the country feel good and secure. As I have said before, it is the Congress that makes the laws. The President can suggest how the Congress should proceed. Mr. Obama got elected by convincing America that he was the change candidate. Maybe he is. Maybe he will get a lot done, especially with a Democrat majority in Congress. A lot of people are cheering today. They are looking forward to change. They are looking forward to a new direction. Will we be disappointed when things don't get done quickly? Will the lobbyists go back to work and help cause things to get bogged down again? Only time will tell. When I met Joe Biden last year, I told him that I worked for McGovern, as he did. He said that was a lonely job. We had a laugh over it. But, in reality, politics can be a very lonely job. Just look at President Bush. It would be nice if we don't have to wait until January 20th, before something gets done. Mr. Bush, you are still President. Be the change President before Mr. Obama gets in. For today, there is a lot of cheering and tears. I hope that there will not be a lot of people copping attitudes. No gloating. Respect the history, though. As a lot of people are recounting Dr. King's "I have a Dream" speech, my dream is that there will be a next day. There can be laughter and tears. There can be happiness and sadness. There can be hope and fear. That is what being an American is all about. But, what happens the next day? May God continue to bless America.

No comments: